A delicious bbq alternative, using griddled cauliflower steaks served with shawarma wraps and fresh lemon yoghurt. You can also roast the cauliflowers or griddle them in a pan until cooked.
1 large cauliflower
2 tbsp harissa paste
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp zaatar
2 tbsp sugar
½ cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
½ cup water
1 red onion, thin sliced
200g coconut yoghurt
1 lemon, zest and juice
2 tsp sumac
Small handful of mint, leaves roughly chopped
Small handful of parsley, leaves roughly chopped
1 pomegranate, seeds
1. To pickle the onions, place the sugar, red wine vinegar and salt in a small bowl. Pour over the water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the onion and leave to pickle while you prepare the rest.
2. Heat a chargrill or barbecue to a medium heat. Slice the cauliflower into 4-5 thick steaks, through the core so they hold together.
3. In a small bowl, mix the harissa, turmeric, olive oil and seasoning of salt and pepper. Brush all over both sides of the cauliflower and place on the grill. Cook for 8 minutes or until nicely charred then flip over to cook the other side. You may need to move them to the cooler part of the grill to ensure they are cooked all the way through or finish cooking in the oven. Once cooked, generously sprinkle over the zaatar.
4. Mix the coconut yoghurt with lemon, sumac and season.
5. Warm the flatbreads and spread each one with the yoghurt. Top with a cauliflower steak, and scatter over the herbs and pomegranate seeds. Drain the onions and divide between the flatbreads to serve.