A beautiful and moist gluten free cake which makes the most of fresh seasonal figs with a hint of ginger and allspice.
1 cup (250ml) oat milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
150g almond flour
200g plain flour (or gluten free)
200g brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp all spice
150g melted coconut oil
3 figs, halved
20g pistachios, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a 20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Stir the lemon juice into the oat milk and leave to thicken for 10 minutes.
3. Place the flours, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl dry in bowl. Stir through the spices and a pinch of salt.
4. Pour over the oat milk and whisk to incorporate the flours. Add the coconut oil, whisking to a smooth batter. Pour into the prepared cake tin.
5. Arrange the fig halves on top in a circular pattern. Bake in the oven for 50 mins – 1 hour until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Scatter over the pistachios to serve.