A healthy and easier take on a classic but just as delicious. Traditionally deep fried, aubergine are roasted here and paired with butterbeans. Tossed in a rich tomato sauce with the addition of salty kalamata olives. Perfect on it’s own or mopped up with crusty bread.
3 aubergines, diced into 2cm
1 stick of celery, finely sliced
1 red onion, finely sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp capers, drained
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp smoked paprika
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp sugar
100g kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1 tin of white beans, butterbeans or cannellini
25g pine nuts, toasted
Fresh parsley leaves
1. Heat the oven to 210C/190C fan. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the aubergine on the baking tray and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30-35 mins until soft and browned.
3. Heat a deep saucepan with 1 tbsp oil over a medium heat. Cook the onions and celery until soft and starting to caramelise, around 8 minutes.
4. Stir through the garlic, capers, tomato puree and dried herbs. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 2 mins until the tomatoes start to blister.
5. Add the butterbeans, chopped tomatoes, olives, and sugar along with 250ml/1 cup of water. Simmer for 15 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and the liquid has slightly reduced.
6. Add the cooked aubergine to the pan. Mix all together and simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Top with the parsley leaves and pine nuts.