1 large onion, diced
1 carrots, diced
1 fennel bulb, diced
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chilli flakes
2 cans cherry tomatoes
500l vegetable stock
Handful of basil leaves, fine sliced
300g cavolo nero (Tuscan kale), roughly chopped
1 can butterbeans beans, drained and rinsed
200g sourdough, torn into pieces
50g vegan parmesan or regular cheese like manchego
1. Preheat the oven to 190C fan.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a deep saucepan and add the veg with a pinch of salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened and lightly caramelised.
3. When the vegetables have softened, add the garlic, tomato puree and spices, frying for 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes with their juices, half the basil leaves and veg stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cavolo nero and butterbeans, stir everything together, cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until everything has softened and the leaves have wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Roughly tear the bread into large chunks and place in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, season and add the rest of the basil. Toss all the bread to coat. Scatter over the top of the ribolito and top with the cheese. Place in the oven for 10 minutes until the bread is crisp and golden.