2 onions, finely sliced
4 garlic, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 sweet pot, cut into 2cm
250g vine tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
1 can chopped tomatoes
Preserved lemon salsa:
¼ preserved lemon, flesh roughly chopped
1 tbsp capers, drained and roughly chopped
3 tbsp parsley leaves, roughly chopped
3 tbsp mint leaves, roughly chopped
100ml olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/200C fan.
2. In an ovenproof pan or casserole dish, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium heat and fry the onion until softened. Add the garlic, spices and tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes until the onion begins to caramelise.
3. Add the tomatoes, sweet potato and buckwheat to the pan. Pour over the veg stock and chopped tomatoes, mixing together with a good seasoning of salt and pepper.
4. Cover the pan and place in the oven for 20 minutes then uncover and return to the oven for another 25-30 minutes to blister the tomatoes and the buckwheat is cooked. The sweet potato should be tender that a cutlery knife can easily pass through. Scatter over the pine nuts for the last 5 minutes to toast.
5. To make the salsa, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl with a pinch of salt, or place in the small bowl of a processor and pulse to a chunky paste. Drizzle over the top over the casserole to serve.