This salad is full of Mediterranean flavours and textures. Cauliflower is roasted in harissa paste to give a spicey flavour and char then topped over a creamy chickpea salad, tossed in tahini dressing and spices. My recipe for homemade harissa paste can be found here. This salad is also delicious eaten hot or cold.
1 cauliflower, broken into florets
2tbsp harissa paste
2 cans chickpeas, drained
Combination of fresh parsley, mint, dill, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely diced
1 tbsp sumac
1 tbsp zata’ar
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 lemon, zested
2 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp pomegranate mollases
1 lemon, juice
4-6 tbsp water
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 210C/190C fan.
2. Remove the hard stalk of the cauliflower and break into florets. Slice the larger florets into thin shavings. Toss in a bowl with the harissa paste, a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Arrange the cauliflower on a large baking tray lined with baking paper and roast in the oven for 15 minutes until cooked through and slightly charred.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the salad by draining the chickpeas and placing in a large bowl. Mix with the finely chopped herbs and onion.
5. Prepare the dressing by whisking all ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle all ver the chickpeas. Add the sumac, zaatar, chilli flakes and lemon zest. Mix all together, taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. When the cauliflower is cooked, place on top of the chickpeas and serve.